Sunday, February 12, 2012

Purging

Things keep going well right now.  My final chemo was January 20th, and this past Friday should have been "the next one" if I had to keep going.  I bet my body was in shock to find it can start standing on its own.  It will be wonderful to watch my body repair itself after all the chemicals put into it through that damn bag hanging overhead.  That final treatment was probably the hardest to get through since I sat counting the minutes until I could officially know I was done.  I now have the "official certificate and pin" of being done with chemo treatments.  Let's hope that remains to be fact throughout the rest of my life.


The new implant continues to do well.  I still have a slight reddish-brown mark (which my plastic surgeon says may never now go away totally) on the side of the "breast" where the infection continued to plague me the last year.  But the good news is that for the first time, I have had two follow-up appointments that have been two weeks apart-----a length of time I have never been able to wait without a problem!  So this is a truly wonderful, healing thing.  My surgeon says that if this continues, I will be able to finally, finally get my implants in by May.


For those who have never had extenders, you need to know that they are uncomfortable.  You never truly get used to them....you just adjust life to knowing they are there and that eventually something better will be put in place of them.  For now, it interrupts sleep as I usually wake up when turning; bending over puts pressure in that area, and temperature changes outside affect how they feel.  There is always a certain uncomfortableness and you just know and are aware that something different is in your body.  Plus, any change in weather or a coming weather pattern....or who knows?...maybe even a full moon...brings with it it's own pressure throughout the breast area and along the scars on my sides.  But I am alive and I am a survivor and that puts all this into perspective.


I have been really busy lately since I am re-entering my life with all it's meetings, decisions, and constant "going" that life gives to all of us.  I do find myself more tired lately, but also find that since I "look well" people assume I feel that way also.  I DO feel much better, but I also do need some rest between session "running the hamster wheel of life".  It's hard for others to recognize this, I know, so I do have to remind people sometimes that I am still a breast cancer patient and in the process of recovering.


My husband and I spent the weekend with family that we have not seen in some time.  My brother-in-law had a milestone birthday party and family came from up and down the coast.  We don't always talk together as much as we should....or see each other often....but we do love and care for each other.  It was so great to have this time together.


During this past week, I found myself just wanting to purge my home from some "stuff" that had to be around me during this past year.  Things such as:  some v-neck shirts that I wore to chemo since they could get to the port easier with them; old medication for chemo nausea; I put bandages and such back in the closet; I got some of my "cancer books" together to give to another person currently going through this; I finally got rid of my "chemo notes and calendar" since this blog really has all I need; and other stuff here and there.  Once I started purging, it seemed I kept going through more and more "stuff".  Things that once seemed so important, I now know to be "just stuff"!


I acknowledge this year and a half to be one of the hardest in my life (and yes, I do know it is not done yet...) yet it has given me moments of great joy; I have shared true feelings of love given and received and it has only strengthened a faith that will not be shaken but will continue to be my rock.


So I purge forward to a "new life" that is, and always has been....mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment